Comic #1683: What's Up?

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

Hoppy

Fuzzy Old Guy
Sep 2, 2013
Northern Illinois
Personal Text
"Growing OLD is mandatory, but growing UP is entirely optional."
I know EXACTLY how Hue is feeling in that instant.... and I had the same reaction from that second panel.

Radagast

Gallery Volunteer
Feb 29, 2012
...So...anyone suddenly get the feeling that that's a reason that Earth is so unresponsive to Hue?

Radagast

Gallery Volunteer
Feb 29, 2012
Don't quite understand what you mean, really...
Panel 2. Earth and Water are typically viewed as the more passive magi, but Water's recent actions show us that - much like with the other elemental embodiments we've seen - the magic can still be resentful of its hosts. I'm suggesting that Earth might feel similarly resentful and hurt about its past, but whereas the other elements thus far have taken a more active opposition to their current hosts, Earth might have just deadened itself to the pain, which is represented by it being completely unresponsive to Hue and the world he sees in his dreams.

Naldru

Nov 30, 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
If the pain really doesn't cause him injury, it may be more like the phantom pain that people experience after losing a limb. In that case, it might actually make some sense. In addition to the phantom pain cases, there are also people with nerve damage, where certain activities can cause extreme pain even though there isn't any actual damage. Migraine headaches might also fit into this category.

However, trying to ignore the pain doesn't seem like the best approach. You have to be able to carry out your activities despite the pain. In this way, people can drive a car despite a severe migraine attack. You would be amazed at the amount of pain a person can withstand while still appearing to act normally.

Of course, I realize that this is a work of fiction taking place in a world where magic exists, so experience from real life might have limited utility.

Hoppy

Fuzzy Old Guy
Sep 2, 2013
Northern Illinois
Personal Text
You have to be able to carry out your activities despite the pain. In this way, people can drive a car despite a severe migraine attack. You would be amazed at the amount of pain a person can withstand while still appearing to act normally.
No. No, I would not be surprised. My own pain is more emotional in nature, but I generally hide it from everyone around me pretty well. Few know how much I wish I could die.

Phuufy

Super Duper Drawer Person!
The Katbox
Feb 17, 2014
.....spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacee!
Personal Text
Rainbows and Unicorns -- and Giant Super Crab Mechs!
No. No, I would not be surprised. My own pain is more emotional in nature, but I generally hide it from everyone around me pretty well. Few know how much I wish I could die.
I know this is a bit off topic, but please consider getting some professional help. :(

Sage

The Katbox
Jan 14, 2008
Watchtower
yosh.katbox.net
Personal Text
Please, I go through everyones trash. - The Question
Emotional pain is extremely difficult to deal with because we know so little about many mental illnesses like depression. It doesn't always work out the same as it does for everyone else. Humans are extraordinarily complex without even taking into account the human brain while the brain easily quadruples the complicated nature. If you do suffer from depression you may have already heard this but, it's not your fault. You are not always in control of how you feel, probably no one is. Some people can manage it better than others but a lot of depression is chemicals being produced by your body that make you feel a certain way, manipulating you. It sucks, its not fair, and a lot of people don't understand it. However these days people know it exists, we know it's not someone being "over emotional", its a medical condition and we are learning more and more about it and learning how to deal with it. If your emotional pain is depression you should get help. I know many people who suffer with depression feel even worse asking for help, but no one worth respecting will think less of you or feel you are a burden. Many humans are empathic beings. We want to help people and helping one person can also further the goal of understanding it.

Regardless of the type of emotional pain you feel, if it affects your life, you should get help, if not for you than for the people who care about you. And if you think for some crazy reason no one cares, I wouldn't use my time typing up a response like this if I didn't and I am pretty sure both ID and Phuufy feel the same way as well as a bunch of people here.

Urien Lævateinn

Knight- Errant
Feb 29, 2012
I've been there. And on some days, still feel that way. Therapy can help, but you should find your own way to deal with it too.
I'm glad there are people out there that understands how complex the human body and brain are. Most people I work with are ignorant to that fact.

ID

The Katboss
Administrator
Apr 17, 2007
Northern Kentucky
www.katbox.net
Emotional pain is extremely difficult to deal with because we know so little about many mental illnesses like depression. It doesn't always work out the same as it does for everyone else. Humans are extraordinarily complex without even taking into account the human brain while the brain easily quadruples the complicated nature. If you do suffer from depression you may have already heard this but, it's not your fault. You are not always in control of how you feel, probably no one is. Some people can manage it better than others but a lot of depression is chemicals being produced by your body that make you feel a certain way, manipulating you. It sucks, its not fair, and a lot of people don't understand it. However these days people know it exists, we know it's not someone being "over emotional", its a medical condition and we are learning more and more about it and learning how to deal with it. If your emotional pain is depression you should get help. I know many people who suffer with depression feel even worse asking for help, but no one worth respecting will think less of you or feel you are a burden. Many humans are empathic beings. We want to help people and helping one person can also further the goal of understanding it.

Regardless of the type of emotional pain you feel, if it affects your life, you should get help, if not for you than for the people who care about you. And if you think for some crazy reason no one cares, I wouldn't use my time typing up a response like this if I didn't and I am pretty sure both ID and Phuufy feel the same way as well as a bunch of people here.
Right on.
I liken depression to having a little demon inside you. Because when I was in the worst of it that's how it felt, like this pit of pure unnatural evil inside of me that constantly reminded me how low I'd gone. It told me things weren't going to get better and I was just waiting out the clock until I died of some painful or humiliating ailment. That's no way to live, and as I found out you don't have to.

Recovery and future management are absolutely possible. Depression isn't curable but with therapy and meds you can work your way up to finding a point to life again.

We're posting about this because its a big deal, nobody should have to live wanting to die.

Hoppy

Fuzzy Old Guy
Sep 2, 2013
Northern Illinois
Personal Text
To get back on topic... who else thinks @Radagast might be onto something, there? Could Earth be dealing with it's pain by simply ignoreing Hue? It does sound like an "earth" kinda thing to do.... you know... just wait, and it'll go away.