Comic #1658: Topsy Turvy Magic

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

Hoppy

Fuzzy Old Guy
Sep 2, 2013
Northern Illinois
Personal Text
"Growing OLD is mandatory, but growing UP is entirely optional."
I thought Kate needed some sort of item to focus the magic thru? What is she using?

Belvarius

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 27, 2007
Oologah, OK
I thought Kate needed some sort of item to focus the magic thru? What is she using?
She does have a bracelet that I can recall and I think she did make an amulet. We're not seeing all of her arms in either of the panels nor do we get a good view of her neck where one might wear an amulet. So odds are whatever it is is hidden from our point of view or simply off panel.

Edit: So looking back real quick we do get a good look at Kate's neck in 1645 and 1646 and there's no amulet so that's ruled out. Going back to 1644 we also get a clear look at both arms and there's no bracelet. So Hoppy's question now has me curious. If she does have to use some sort of item what and where is it?

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2012
This reminds me of a weapon from a video game called the topsy turvy gun, which turns the world upside down and has your enemies fall off the planet. Ah the nostalgic memories.

NekoSabrina

Katbox Forum Member
Feb 29, 2012
...I almost wonder who thought of this one. Reversing gravity.....hm, maybe Phil thought of this one after playing Mega Man 5 (Kate got Gravity Hold :p)?

Radagast

Gallery Volunteer
Feb 29, 2012
Well if you recall with the maid outfit, half the test was Kate's ability to make enchanted items with a particular effect, with Michelle verifying that the items worked as much as that the spell had the intended result. Given that she'd mentioned trying other enchantments, it seems quite probable that this gravity spell is the product of another enchanted item (a pair of shoes, perhaps).

Feb 29, 2012
...I almost wonder who thought of this one. Reversing gravity.....hm, maybe Phil thought of this one after playing Mega Man 5 (Kate got Gravity Hold :p)?
They could have thought of it after playing pathfinder. The game does have a few gravity manipulating spells, including reverse gravity.

Sage

The Katbox
Jan 14, 2008
Watchtower
yosh.katbox.net
Personal Text
Please, I go through everyones trash. - The Question
She does have a bracelet that I can recall and I think she did make an amulet. We're not seeing all of her arms in either of the panels nor do we get a good view of her neck where one might wear an amulet. So odds are whatever it is is hidden from our point of view or simply off panel.

Edit: So looking back real quick we do get a good look at Kate's neck in 1645 and 1646 and there's no amulet so that's ruled out. Going back to 1644 we also get a clear look at both arms and there's no bracelet. So Hoppy's question now has me curious. If she does have to use some sort of item what and where is it?
The Focus needs only be on her person and if the spell has a duration she doesn't need to have the focus on her the entire time. That said it can be on an arm, wrist, neck, or any place on her body, often as a piece of jewelry- but it could also just be a crystal in her pocket.

Hoppy

Fuzzy Old Guy
Sep 2, 2013
Northern Illinois
Personal Text
"Growing OLD is mandatory, but growing UP is entirely optional."
The Focus needs only be on her person and if the spell has a duration she doesn't need to have the focus on her the entire time. That said it can be on an arm, wrist, neck, or any place on her body, often as a piece of jewelry- but it could also just be a crystal in her pocket.
Thanks Sage. Curious minds wonder, ya know.

Jun 9, 2008
EARTH
Personal Text
Ahhhhh Art, How we can escape life to thee
Have you guys seen 'Patema Inverted'? That's one scary-ass movie... Basically that final panel made real.
I was going to mention that but ye beat me to it lol.

Still Kate coooould grab on and go play super mario real life edition hehehe :3

Belvarius

Katbox Forum Member
Apr 27, 2007
Oologah, OK
Still, a spell like this could be useful for getting things off a ceiling, especially a high ceiling without having to break out a ladder.

Or resorting to extreme measures that might endanger the upstairs neighbor.