Comic #1458

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies.
  • The alluring Olivia makes her debut on the Katbox After Dark (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Venture into the beautiful, mad world of The Sprawl! Look into it's darkness and the horror deep within! (Mature audiences only) Click here!
  • Katbox.net uses Project Wonderful ads to pay its server costs and artists can have their own PW ads to let them draw comics for a living. We humbly ask that you whitelist Katbox.net in adblock to support us. Thank you.
  • The Katbox developer Patreon helps us grow as a site! Show your support and earn special forum badges, or access the private subforum where we personally answer your questions or chat about whatever you want! http://www.patreon.com/Katbox
  • Don't miss an update, Guest! Follow us on twitter at @Katbox_Comics to stay in the loop!
  • Come chat with your favorite Katbox artists and fellow community members on our Discord server!

NekoSabrina

Katbox Forum Member
Feb 29, 2012
Well, that's still an interesting team to send on a mission like that. Phil's null powers obviously would be pretty effective against a lich, but Shisou (...been a while since we heard about him) and Nami seem like kinda strange backup. Then again, Nami probably would be able to operate whatever it is they're going to be using without much problem (just a matter of if "Power Armor" is just a suit, or a mecha...)

Jun 9, 2008
EARTH
Personal Text
Ahhhhh Art, How we can escape life to thee
Like to live forever as a undead corpse. Really worth it? I guess to some.

Chaos Sepher

Gallery Volunteer
Mar 2, 2008
New Jersey
I guess they kind of forshadowed this with that conversation with Rieko, but didn't expect a freaking Lich to show up like this so soon. Very interested to hear what evidence they have that it is one of these things.

I like this. Always found necromancy to be a pretty neat, if creepy, school of magic in any form it takes.

Sage

The Katbox
Jan 14, 2008
Watchtower
yosh.katbox.net
Personal Text
Please, I go through everyones trash. - The Question
Like to live forever as a undead corpse. Really worth it? I guess to some.
Funny thing is, in most versions of a Lich they have a very simple spell they can cast that prevents their body from decaying and looking dead. Thing is they live so long eventually they go "What's the point? I'm wasting precious time that could be used on infusing this orphan soul into a spell that might turn me into a god."

Feb 29, 2012
:confuzzledPA: ...then it wouldn't be necromancy then. That's like saying you want to see a pyromancer that doesn't use fire. :dropPA:
*Is studying Pathfinder books and sees response*
But then more than half these necromancy spells shouldn't exist. Is it so hard to find a good aligned necromancer?

Radagast

Gallery Volunteer
Feb 29, 2012
Depends on the source material. More often than not fiction depicts necromancy as evil aligned due to the baggage the walking dead carry with them. Even at its most benign, the act of making the dead leave their tombs is likely to at least be seen as roughly analogous to desecrating a corpse, disrespecting the dead, and/or grave robbing, if not the absolute worst kind of slavery (compelling obedience via suppressing the soul)...and of course the near constant invocation of necromancy as a practical synonym with 'black magic' doesn't do it any favors either. Suffice to say that it's an easy 'obviously evil' target, and off the top of my head I can think of only a few examples which present it as benign...with a possible exception of séances, which have more in common with 'classic' necromancy than the Hollywood portrayal of necromancy does (which is to say: classic necromancy is temporarily calling upon dead spirits for divination purposes)...and even then it's presented at least as often as not as near Faustian in recklessness.

Sage

The Katbox
Jan 14, 2008
Watchtower
yosh.katbox.net
Personal Text
Please, I go through everyones trash. - The Question
I did play in a game with a "good" necromancer. He never made permanent undead and when they were done he had them return to their graves. He also specialized in dispatching undead or taking control of them to put them at rest. A lof of people said "If you want to fight and stop undead you should be a cleric" but he said for his character "People should take care of people, even the dead."

He also liked having finger of death as a specialized spell.

Eradose

Outside contributer, not comunuty member.
Jun 1, 2009
www.furaffinity.net
I did play in a game with a "good" necromancer. He never made permanent undead and when they were done he had them return to their graves. He also specialized in dispatching undead or taking control of them to put them at rest. A lof of people said "If you want to fight and stop undead you should be a cleric" but he said for his character "People should take care of people, even the dead."

He also liked having finger of death as a specialized spell.
Well, I do remember an article from Dungeon Magazine back in the 3rd edition days about different schools of Necromancy, classifying them as White (Good), Grey (Neutral), and Black (Evil).

Feb 29, 2012
Well, I do remember an article from Dungeon Magazine back in the 3rd edition days about different schools of Necromancy, classifying them as White (Good), Grey (Neutral), and Black (Evil).
Where can I learn more about this "white" necromancy for pathfinder purposes?

Eradose

Outside contributer, not comunuty member.
Jun 1, 2009
www.furaffinity.net
Where can I learn more about this "white" necromancy for pathfinder purposes?
I am having a very hard time finding the actual issue number, as I do not remember the name of the article (it's been about 5 years since I saw the issue last, and it would require some digging to find). But, I think I saw there are White Necromancer manuals for Pathfinder. I'll update you when I find said issue.[DOUBLEPOST=1395528608,1395527906][/DOUBLEPOST]Okay, I found it. It's Dragon issue 298; Dark Elves, and the article is "Shades of Death" by Wade Nudson.